Wednesday, February 26, 2014

28 kg KB Press, BW lunges, sled and snatch holds



Solid day today. Shoulder adjustment is holding perfectly- I think I've found the corrective to 'un inpinge' the biceps tendon from the clavicle, which I now think is the real culprit. It's been feeling downright perfect these last two days, and even after a recent pr press day today it feel normal :) The stretch that adjusts the clavicle can be done in bed, lying on the floor, standing upright or with a TRX or rings set up.
Hope this holds, it will be a huge breakthrough for me.

Got a lot of squat stretch time in today. Put my feet very close together and squatted down on two ten pound plates letting my knees move forward. I've neglected this close stance during work in favor of squatting medium to wide around the stability ball -which focuses more on hip than knee movement- and I need more of this stance to get the final 20 degree of ROM for deep squats and seiza.

Partner had the flu today so I was on my own. Great rainy, cloudy, blustery day and not so cold. Loved it. We so need the rain I welcome every drop.

One arm swing warmup 16 kg x 5/5 x 3

KB Mil Press
16 kg x 3/3 x 2
20 kg x 2/2
24 kg x 2/2
28 kg x 2/2 x 5!!!
         x 1/1 x 3

this was a total surprise. I thought I might be able to get one or maybe two sets but never five! The key is not just getting the lat tight early but holding it tight as I rotate a bit and THEN press. I've been trying to press and rotate simultaneously and that doesn't work. The slight rotation with the arm staying in the rack position and then press worked like a charm!
New shoulder extension stretch between each set worked excellent as well to keep the shoulder and clavicle in the right place
This is a big jump for me. The video above is the 5th set which was actually the wonkiest, which is why I did 3 more singles. They were better

BW Split squats
12/12
14/14
16/16
18/18
20/20

80 reps per side! both feet flat on the floor and this worked great. I've decided I have to concentrate on building bodyweight for reps on these as that is the kind of leg strength endurance I really need. Plus, I know that high reps build size much better and quicker than low rep strength training.
I made that mistake before when I was bodybuilder and trained as a powerlifter would. It wasn't until I started racing ten speeds and doing huge high rep volume for my legs daily that they actually began to develop!

Snatch holds
18 kg x 30 sec x 3 sets

these were better. the heavier I go on these the better the overhead position. these were decent

sled drags
walked 1/4 block rested then walked back. about 2 x what I normally go. strong.


good day today. got to get ready for Saturdays 36 kg  5 minute one arm swing test! we'll see!

datsit.
neverquit.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Mark, What did you do for your shoulders?

Mark Reifkind said...

a very basic stretch on the trx/ rings- just stretching my arms behind me in external rotation and extension. if you can imagine a maltese cross on the rings but me standing vertical.

hard to describe, I'll make a picture later.basically this is a position with the arms out and back behind me where my collarbone "clicks" back into place and takes the pressure off my biceps tendon at the same time.
puts the shoulder into neutral

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...