Monday, May 26, 2014

All Day Strong.





I had had my fill of one rep absolute strength after 13 years of competitive powerlifting. It broke me. When I first read the Russian Kettlebell Challenge book and saw the DVD I knew that this is what I needed to get back my fitness; my health, my strength, my vigor.

I just felt it.

A soldiers "legs of iron and a back that never quit" was what I wanted. What I needed. And what I so didn't have at the time. I could barely stand up out of a chair. It was bad. And it was such a far place from where I used to be when I could run 100 miles a week no problem. Ride my ten speed up mountains and ride 3-400 miles a week while swimming ten miles that week as well.

My deadlift wasn't very big at the time but I was the most functional that I had been in almost all my life.

Strength is key but strength isn't just your one rep max.

Durability,resilience,stamina and toughness are just as important. No, they are more important. Because if you have these qualities you can develop your one rep max. If you are just one rep strong you might not make it off the couch to the refrigerator without getting out of breath. Not too functional in the real world.

So today. after I double front squatted 2 28 lg bells for 8 sets of 2 for the first time ever I realized it was after I had ruck marched for two hours yesterday and swung the beast for 120 reps the day before that.
And it was no  problem. I was getting All Day Strong. As well as those legs of iron.

Definitely on the right path and I owe it all to the kettlebell and my orthopedic surgeon :) I want to be able to work hard, rest a bit , then work hard again. Then rinse and repeat again.

Especially as I get older. It ain't for sissies or weaklings indeed. But, in the immortal words of Mr America Don " the Ripper Savage" Ross, a friend of mine back in the day; "if I need to lift something that heavy I'll get a forklift".

I'll settle for medium heavy a lot of times.
Solid one hour of stretching. mobilization and soft tissue work.then:

Prying Goblet Squat
16 kg x 5 x 2
20 kg x 4
24 kg x 2
28 kg x 2 x 2

these were great. really warmed me up for the front squats

Double Front squats
2 16s x 5
2 20s x 5
2 24s x 3
2 28s x 2 x 8 sets  PR!

These felt so good, the most upright and the least effort to hold the bells in the rack ever. Getting stronger in this position. the closer stance is definitely for me.

Belt squat
32 kg  12, 14, 16 ,  20

ouch! was going to do an 18 rep set but I knew I wouldn't make 20 if I did. good choice

Hip sled
95 lbs  x 250 ft x 4

done. all I had but the drive on the sled was solid. power all the way through.. better than usual

datsit. very very happy with this effort

neverquit.


4 comments:

Matt said...

Great post. I love your blog and your programming ideas, but I'm trying to better understand your program for squats -- is there a particular post where you describe it? If so I must have missed it.

Mark Reifkind said...

Matt

thanks. as far as my programming it's just getting worked out as I'm very new to kb squatting. right now it looks like it will follow my typical cycle of alternating bell sizes each week
probably a three week cycle with double
20's
24's
28's
for varying sets and reps per weight
20's will be sets of 5, 24's probably the same rep for less total sets and the 28's working from the doubles above to fives
when I can do 5x5 with the 28's I'll start in with the 32's and build those up.
it's my basic approach

Matt said...

Thanks! I'm trying to adapt your basic approach to my needs (and limited bell selection) so I appreciate the insight!

Mark Reifkind said...

let me know how it goes

205, 215, 217.5,205 x 1 x 6, 190 x 1 x 3, laterals, rear delts bw pushups

 Well this went great. not perfect but the basic premise worked and I'm happy. I was not optimistic at all about this at all given recen...