Monday, September 01, 2014

24 kg KB Press, belt squat,pushups, sled pull and a realization



Well that's not going to work.

I was really excited to get started on this new path, this new project, BACK to my pressing and snatching self of old. Of where I was two years ago. I thought for sure I could, as I have so many times in the past, pull myself up by my bootstraps and WILL myself back to form.

But I don't think so this time. I mean, I could continue to just push ahead, mindlessly ignoring what my body is telling me, and accept that my overhead isn't that great and just do what I can, endlessly compensating just to put a bell overhead any way possible.
But that makes no real sense.
It's just like when I had to accept that it made no real sense at all to continue to barbell squat and put up with the pain and stiffness, using form that would make me cringe if I saw anybody else doing it to do numbers that wouldn't be warmups just a few years ago.PLUS put my only good knee at risk to do so.
It's pretty much the same now.
I don't want to say goodbye to training the overhead lifts but it looks like it makes the most sense.
I can still teach them. I can still demonstrate them. But I shouldn't train them.
My shoulders have been feeling great of late ( the impetus  to go back to overhead work :) ) and the pushups and overhead hangs and shoulder bodybuilding I have been doing has been working.
And it's deceiving because my overhead strength is still good.
The 24 kg press today felt LIGHT except for all the work I had to do just fighting my own bodies restrictions ,lol.
And I could feel the old pains, the old aches and stiffness come back into my body almost immediately, as if it knew what I was planning and had MUCH other plans for me if I continued on that course.
My shoulder is as deteriorated as my knee was and certain things just are not going to work for me anymore and I have to accept that.
I have to focus on the things that I CAN do now, not the things I can't.

My G-d I can WALK without pain.
That alone should be enough. But I can squat, deeply too, a lifelong dream and with weight as well. I can lunge, I can hike and I can swing and do pushups and soon, I believe, pullups as well.
I can move through the day easily. If you would have asked a year ago if I would trade the crippled agony I was living in for my snatch workouts I would have said yes in an instant.

I was hoping I could have it all but it doesn't look like it and that's ok.
I will take this. I will love this, because, after all I AM 57 years old, rode hard and put up wet and have put in my time pressing things on this earth, that's for sure.

My body told me right after the workout that this was not the right path and I knew it was right.
I don't like it but it's the truth and the time has past where I ignore these messages, much as I have tried to this past few weeks.

Embrace what I can do, respect what I would love to still be able to do in others and enjoy every second and every breath I take.

Same with my handstands. It's just not for me anymore. I can't believe how( relatively) fast that has fallen off but I had feelings in my low back that I never want to even start to feel again after Saturday's handstands. it's just not worth it.

I tried these today as a progressive but I dont think I need to mess with it.


These felt easy, really but the few one's I kicked up into brought me crashing down fast. My balance was totally off. this new leg, the one that, thankfully was actually GROWING, was much heavier than my old one and this made what used to be as comfortably as standing on my feet completey foreign.

Can I adapt to it? Perhaps. To what end ? To what risk?

I did those things. Perhaps time to let them pass and enjoy what I still can do and all the new things I will be able to do because of my new knee and my new body.Perhaps time to let some things go. Gracefully and not with anger or regret.

Workout
one arm swings
16 kg x 5/5/5 x 3

KB Press
16 kg x 5/5 x 2
20 kg x 5/5
24 kg x 3/3 x 6

Floor pushups
5 sets of 8

Stability ball pike ups
4 sets of 3-4

Belt squats
32 kg x 20 x 4

the smaller bell makes me go lower than the 40 kg and it's much harder ,lol time to step back on one inch plates with the bigger weights.

db kickbacks
20 lbs x 10 x 4 sets

Hip sled
105 x 250 x 1 ( too heavy)
95 lb x 250ft  x 2 laps

just dead. 90 + degrees  and the tightness in the press were getting to me.

About 15 minutes in the hangs today. This is definitely a key corrective for me. and I've got eons to progress towards.


datsit
neverquit.
Thanks so much to Zoltan Gerlai of Szentendre Kettlebell Club Hungary  for this great  shirt!


No comments:

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...