Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Swing Max V02 50 sets of 10! ,Walking lunges, parallel pushups, crawls and Happy New Year!



Solid training today. Definitely did NOT want to endure this workout today after a fitful night of little sleep but  there was no choice, and no doubt, that it would get done.These are the days that really count,not the easy days when you feel rested strong and ready.
This workout is HARD. Not in the same sense as the snatch version but it is a TON ( try nine) of work and I can feel it, It still feels very safe to do and trying to keep the bell speed up as I fatigue is quite the challenge, and my muscles and lungs can sure tell as well.
It is also really cleaning up my swing form, it is much shorter, crisper but way more powerful as well. Keeping my head up is making a HUGE difference. Why didn't I give this a solid try earlier? Oh well ,I am now and it's making a big difference in power and stability.

I decided to let the bell float up higher than before and it helped in a lot of ways. First off I get more of a float, which Kenneth Jay is important for the cardio aspect and one of the reasons the swing isnt as good as the snatch for cardio improvement.
But not stopping it at chest height gave me a decent amount of release of muscle tension PLUS the higher bell dropped faster and that made the reps easier to be more powerful at the same time.Last week I was pushing the bell down to get it to move fast enough and there was TOO much tension with no release.
This was better and it also helped me focus on integrating the hip snap with the bell launch. I kept my arm on my ribs longer. this is good.
Still 50 sets of 10, 500 reps in 25 minutes, even with the 16 kg is work, 18.000 lbs in fact. Nine tons ,lol. Love that.


Swing Vo2
16 kg
15:15
50 sets of 10
500 reps
18,000 lbs work

walking lunges
4 laps of 40 steps

this was particularly hard today. Feet are a bit sore still from the barbell hacks

Parallel pushups, feet on box
 4 sets of 12

these feel the best in a LONG time. Could finally grip the bar hard, just like on Monday's press as I tried to push. that's been missing. grip has felt weak in the press positions.

Leopard Crawls
3 laps of 50 feet

these are feeling better all the time yet always hard!

well that's it for 2014 it's been a spectacular year in so many ways and I can only imagine what 2015 will bring!

NEVERQUIT!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Mark, do you still do the v02 pre test the same as if snatching? Glad the swing version is working for you. I often thought about it, but never tried it.

Mark Reifkind said...

no never did it for snatch vo2 other than the first time. Basically I see how many reps I can fit in in 15 seconds and go with that.
I don't think I could do more than 10 reps no matter what but I'm going up to the 18 kg next cycle and try that. perhaps 9 reps per 15 seconds.
it's an experiment
I really like the swing version especially with yesterday's technique with the extra float

Unknown said...

Would you recommend Kenneth Jays book to fully understand everything or is it basically just give it for 15 and rest for 15?

Mark Reifkind said...

definitely get the book it's a good read although he doesn't recommend the swing as he says it doesnt work for cardio.

Unknown said...

Thank you Mark. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. You and your blog are an inspiration and motivation.

Mark Reifkind said...

you're more than welcome Hunter. thanks for taking the time to comment, it's much appreciated :)

Diana said...

Sounds like the Max swing is working great for you.
Looking forward to reading along with you for another year!
Always a pleasure reading your stuff and learning things along the way!

More press mistakes from today

 1) Gotta engage the rhomboids when setting the low rack position.Lock in 2) Elbows up is crucial 3) 'Straight  up' on the unracking...