Saturday, May 28, 2016

48 kg One Arm swings ( 3rd time) 200 reps, barbell hacks, sandbag pushups, side delts/curls



Ok got through this. It was hard as I expected but I was prepared. And the first five sets were the strongest and fastest ever. Then I started running out of gas and the the sets were still ok but not as strong and powerful as the first five.

But, the first set felt absolutely strong and my wind was better than ever. Not sure I had enough food yesterday but  it could just be this thing is heavy and I was swinging harder than ever.

Had good mental prep yesterday, good sleep and hydration. I focused on seeing the bell move fast in my head as well as not being winded at the end. Did pretty well. Did not go back and look at old attempts of this weight as I usually do. I wanted to see them even stronger in my head ;)

One arm swings
16 kg x 5/5 x 2
20 kg x 5/5
24 kg x 5/5
28 kg x 5/5
32 kg x 4/4
40 kg x 4/4
48 kg x 10/10 x 10 !
200 reps
21,200 lbs

Interesting. Tracy commenting upon seeing this video that it 'looked like a 'lift' as much as a swing' and she's right. That's the best part for me. this is like the best of powerlifting with the bell and not the downsides.

This is Strength Speed work; taking a heavy load and trying to move it as fast as possible making it as light as possible.. As opposed to Speed Strength work, taking a light load and trying to maximize force by keeping the speed as high as possible Both maximize acceleration for force on the body  but in different ways.



Barbell hacks
65 x 10
85 x 8
95 x8
115 x 8 x 2

used the heels up on 1/2 inch plates , made sure to create and keep foot torque during each rep and let myself lean over more than usual. ALL worked great and I was deep with no right knee pain but great quad pain :0

Horiz bar pushups
BW x 12
32 lb sandbag x 12 x 3 sets

solid,elbows in and left elbow felt great

Side delt/curls
15 lb x 12 x 3 sets
same for curls but 8 reps

ok lived to fight another day. this was a very good workout, especially since it's the 4th time we've done this and it's stronger and more powerful each time. AND conditioning is better too. Definitely on the right trend line

big ruck tomorrow. missed last week so this should be interesting

BW 162
BF 12.1
W 56.6

datsit
neverquit


2 comments:

Kettlebell Courage Corner Seattle WA said...

I am very impressed Mark, particularly with the beast swings. As part of SFG2 prep I have been cleaning a 44kg bell for loaded cleans (press prep). That is not a joke, but not even the same level as swinging the beast with one hand for reps. Very cool. Sounds like you enjoyed time in Seattle with my friend Molly at her gym Fuelhouse. Glad to hear that.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Chris it's definitely no joke but cleaning weights is different too. I've torn my bicep snatching twice and I tend to 'arm' things when I go heavy so I don't want to take the risk. I really focus on keeping the elbow locked and glued to my ribs.
Seattle was great, going back for an SMK cert in July

thanks for the comment!

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...